Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Creation Museum - a monument to ignorance & superstition


A few days ago, I wrote a "mocking" little post on that monument to ignorance and superstition, the Creation Museum, located just south of Cincinnati, in the great state of Kentucky.

A small number of Xtian fundys got their hackles raised and started whining about my lack of biblical understanding and how I needed Jesus and they would keep praying for me so that I would find Jesus (I didn't know he was lost!) and have my sins taken away and live forever in the heavenly realm (wherever that is) with their skygod.

Lest anyone is even a tad confused that the Creation Museum and/or what is oxymoronically called "creation science" is anything more than a scam perpetrated by Xtian fundamentalists who believe they are called to force this nonsense down the throats of our "innocent" little school children, I'm including a link to a post on PZ Myer's blog, Pharyngula, which provides a wealth of information dealing with the Creation Museum and the crap it promotes as science. Myers is an associate professor at the University of Minnesota.

Myers wrote this post on May 27, 2007. His introductory comments follow:

"This week, the creationist Ken Ham and his organization, Answers in Genesis, are practicing the Big Lie. They have spent tens of millions of dollars to create a glossy simulacrum of a museum, a slick imitation of a scientific enterprise veneered over long disproved religious fables, and they are gathering crowds and world-wide attention to the grand opening of their edifice of deceit. You can now take a photographic tour of the exhibits and see for yourself--it's not science at all, but merely a series of Bible stories dolled up in dioramas.

"The blogosphere is also giving them some attention -- almost none of it favorable. What I've done here is collect recent reactions from all over to the Creation Museum, and compile[d] them down into a link and a short and (I hope) representative extract. Browse through this long, long list, and when you find some quote that tickles your interest, follow the link to find the complete article. The National Center for Science Education has also compiled reactions from journalists, educators, scientists, and scientific organizations for yet more reading on the subject."


There are many links in Myers' post. If, however, you've been fooled by this pseudo-scientific, religious hokum, you should seriously consider reading through at least some of the material that is available.

One last thing: One gentleman asked if I had visited the Creation Museum, as if that would make a difference in my outlook. No, I have not. For one thing, I have not felt the need, as I've studied carefully material made available by the museum and have no interest in looking at what Myers calls "Bible stories dolled up in dioramas." Pictures of these dioramas are enough, thank you.

The other reason I won't soon visit the Creation Museum is the same reason I quit reading Mickey Mouse comic books years ago. I have no need for such fantasies as a grown-up adult.

You will find Myers' blog post here.

P.S. I "borrowed" the above photo from Pharyngula.

No comments:

opinions powered by SendLove.to