Monday, March 3, 2008

Medical Mutations

Now they tell me.  After taking Vitamin E regularly, without fail, daily, for god knows how long, the medical profession has discovered, oops, that Vitamin E in doses of 400 milligrams a day can "increase the risk of lung cancer."

The risk increases if you smoke.

If you take 400 milligrams a day over ten years, the risk increases by 28%.

I gave up my pipe.  But I still take Vitamin E.  

Sheesh!  What a predicament.


That's bad enough.  Another study by some medical types indicates that snoring can cause heart disease.

Please.  How the hell am I gonna stop snoring?


It gets worse.  This story goes back to 2003, but it's still around and supposedly still valid.  

When I saw the headline, I thought they were talking about shaving strokes off my golf score. That sounded interesting.  My golf game can use all the help it can get!  

Boy, was I surprised!  It's not about golf!  

Men, if you shave less than once a day, your risk of having a stroke could increase as much as 70 percent.

Seventy percent!!!

That's what a 20-year study of 2,000 men in South Wales showed.

And that's not all.  Men who shaved less than once a day were also more likely to suffer a heart attack and lung cancer.  Especially if they smoked.  Not so bad for non-smokers.

But the lack of shaving and stroke connection - what's that all about?  Professor Shah Ebrahim, told BBC News Online that "There may well be some hormonal explanation."

In other words they don't have a clue. 

I'd write some more, but I've got to go shave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jacob, the snoring refers to the possibility that you have sleep apnea, which is quite common. Because one changes the balance of oxygen and carbon monoxide during sleep, it can lead to eventual stroke or heart problems. Snoring is one symptom, so is sleepiness or a feeling of not being rested when you wake up in the morning. I have used a C-Pap machine for over ten years, due to severe sleep apnea and am glad I was sent for a sleep test ten years ago. I would check it out on the internet and if you need a good pulmonary doctor, I can recommend the one we use,without reservations.
I still take some extra vitamin E and gave up my three pack a day habit about ten years ago too.
Bob Poris

opinions powered by SendLove.to