Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sex and the City


(Photo by StarPulse)

I have not seen the movie, but intend to do so.  The TV show was great fun.  Usually.  There was a lot of sex in the city.  

Today, the AP filed a report about a New York City Health Department study which found that over 25 percent of adults living in the city are currently infected with the virus that causes genital herpes.

Genital herpes may be unhappy and uncomfortable and discouraging to live with, but it isn't tragic in the sense that it will kill you.  Most people, though, would rather not have it.

If the TV Show, "Sex and the City," was indicative of the behavior of most young New Yorkers, the health department findings are not surprising.  Sexual behavior can have consequences of both a pyschological and physiological nature.  In fact, the TV show portrayed some of those consequences.

Please do not misunderstand.  I'm making no judgments.  I have nothing against people having sexual relations.  I don't even think one has to be married.  That does not mean, however, that one can ignore the possible results of being sexually active.  Genital herpes is one of least significant.

So enjoy.  But be careful.  Know what the hell you're doing.  Over 20 years ago a young man of my acquaintance told me that he could go out any night of the week and pick up every disease in the book.  He wasn't even talking about New York.  He was talking about Fort Lauderdale.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen either the movie or the TV program. I grew up in New York City, so I am familiar with whatever sex I had in that city. I moved when I got married, to New Jersey, and being a newly wed, had more sex in New Jersey but gave up variety. I had about the same in New Haven and Dayton and then the Detroit area but it slowed down considerably after moving to the suburbs. Then I moved to Florida and it kept slowing down. Ocala is not half as good sexually as was New York or New Jersey. I wonder what would happen if we were to move to New York now. Of course, Irene is from Philadelphia and I never had sex in Pennsylvania. Is good sex dependent upon where you live or visit? If so, more retirement communities should be located in New York City.
Bob Poris

opinions powered by SendLove.to