Friday, June 13, 2008

Flipping and flopping and John McCain/McBush

Cliff Schecter at Firedoglake reminds us that on November 18, 2004, on C-SPAN's Road to The White House, Mr. McCain/McBush said:

"Without privatization, I don't see how you can possibly, over time, make sure that young Americans are able to receive Social Security benefits."

Schecter then says that on Thursday, June 12, 2008, "during a back and forth with an elderly gentleman, McCain/McBush said this:

"I am not for privatizing Social Security. I never have been. I never will be."

Wait, there's more: In the March 3, 2008 edition of the Wall Street Journal, McCain is quoted as saying, "As part of Social Security reform, I believe that private savings accounts are a part of it - along the lines of what President Bush proposed."


The following comes from Cliff Schecter's book, The Real McCain.

October 2006. Chris Matthews on Hardball asked McCain if he supported gay marriage. "McCain said, 'I think gay marriage should be allowed if there's a ceremony kind of thing if you want to call it that. I don't have any problem with that.'

"When the show resumed after a commercial break, McCain hijacked a question on a completely different topic and interjected, 'I think private ceremonies are fine. I do not think gay marriage should be legal.'

"The next month, McCain was a guest on This Week with George Stephanopoulos. Stephanopoulos asked McCain whether he was against civil unions for gay couples. 'No, I'm not,' McCain replied. A few minutes later, Stephanopoulos tried again. 'So, you're for civil unions?' 'No,' McCain said."

As Schecter notes, he was "Neither for nor against civil unions. McCain went on to clarify his position. He was against 'discrimination,' and he referred obliquely to certain partnerships qualifying for things like 'hospital visits.'"

Huh?


Also from The Real McCain, Schecter tells a howl of a story how McCain couldn't answer whether he believed condoms were effective in preventing the spread of AIDs until he had checked to see what Dr. Coburn had to say. Then he said,

"I'm not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I'm sure I've taken a position on it in the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception--I'm sure I'm opposed to government spending on it it, I'm sure I support the president's policies on it."

Does this not sound like a moron in the Bush mold?


Yesterday, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld habeas corpus for Guantanamo detainees. McCain, showing little understanding of our fundamental Constitutional principles, said:

"These are unlawful combatants, they are not American citizens and I think we should pay attention to Justice Roberts' opinion in this decision."

McCain was referring to Roberts' dissent from the majority. But, the corker is that McCain hadn't even read the damn decision and it is likely he hadn't read Robert's dissent either! But, he still quacks like a duck and gives an opinion.


Now, consider Obama's response:

"Today's Supreme Court decision ensures that we can protect our nation and bring terrorists to justice, while also protecting our core values. The Court's decision is a rejection of the Bush Administration's attempt to create a legal black hole at Guantanamo - yet another failed policy supported by John McCain. This is an important step toward reestablishing our credibility as a nation committed to the rule of law, and rejecting a false choice between fighting terrorism and respecting habeas corpus. Our courts have employed habeas corpus with rigor and fairness for more than two centuries, and we must continue to do so as we defend the freedom that violent extremists seek to destroy."


Hot damn! Finally, someone running for elective office who has a clue about the nature and substance of our beloved land!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is he for real? Does he think about issues or not? Does he have opinions or doesn;t he? what kind of president would he be? He does sound as Bush did when he started his fiorst and secind run for the office he still occupys.
Bob Poris

opinions powered by SendLove.to