Wednesday, April 23, 2008

George W. Bush and the Almighty

George W. Bush is considered by some to be a man of "faith." Others think he knows not what "faith" means. A few are quite sure he's just plain stupid. Molly Ivins, God rest her soul, said he was a moron.

To help you decide, we're posting a few "God" comments from G.W., culled from a list of 50. I thought these were some of the "best." You can read all of them here.

1. "I am driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did." - Sham el-Sheikh, August 2003.

2. "I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." - Lancaster, PA, July 9, 2004

3. "I'm also mindful that man should never try to put words in God's mouth. I mean, we should never ascribe natural disasters or anything else to God. We are in no way, shape, or form should a human being, play God. - Washington, D.C., Jan. 14, 2005

4. "God loves you, and I love you. And you can count on both of us as a powerful message that people who wonder about their future can hear." - Los Angeles, CA, Mar. 3, 2004

9. "And there's nothing more powerful in helping change the country than faith -- faith in Dios." - National Hispanic Prayer Breakfast, May 16, 2002

13. "We can never replace lives, and we can't heal hearts, except through prayer." - Enterprise, Alabama, Mar. 3, 2007

16. "I couldn't imagine someone like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah." - White House, Dec. 10, 2007

17. "I see an opportunity at home when I hear the stories of Christian and Jewish women alike, helping women of cover, Arab American women go shop because they're afraid to leave their home." - Washington, D.C., Oct. 4, 2001

19. "I did denounce it. I de- I denounced it. I denounced interracial dating. I denounced anti-Catholic bigacy...bigotry." - In response to people unhappy with his visit to the far-right Bob Jones University in South Carolina, Feb. 25, 2000.


Below are some additional "God" and non-God statements from G.W. Bush provided by readers of Times Online:

"This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while." - Sept. 16, 2001

"I really appreciate leaders from around the globe who have come to share in prayer with us today. It reminds me that the Almighty God is a God to everybody, every person." - 51st Annual Congressional Prayer Breakfast, February 6, 2003

[G.W.'s father said this in response to a question at a press conference: "I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."] (The problem runs in the family!)

"I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state." - January 29, 2001


Here are a few more familiar "Bushisms" most of which are not directly related to God:

"For diplomacy to be effective, words must be credible - and no one can now doubt the word of America."

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right."

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - so long as I'm the dictator."

"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being President."

"Our nation is chosen by God and commissioned by history to be a model to the world."


Yikes!

2 comments:

BAC said...

You see, when Bush first saw GOP he thought it read GOD ... and it's been downhill ever since! ha


BAC

Anonymous said...

Bush claims that God has told him what to do more than once. It is obvious that he believes he is doing God’s work. His comments that he does not have to explain his actions to anyone, indicates that he believes he is doing God’s work. For those that do not accept that he is doing God’s work, impeachment is one acceptable answer.
Another is to commit him as insane. We usually lock people up that hear voices that result in the death or harm to others. I am not knowledgeable as to how to get him to submit to the steps to commitment but if he continues, we risk him hearing that nukes must be used to do God’s work. That risk is unacceptable but I have no clue as to what to do about it. Many feel that listening to God is acceptable others do not. The problem is how do we know if one is insane or is listening to God? My guess is he is insane. Now what?
Bob Poris

opinions powered by SendLove.to