Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Keeping abreast of Janet Jackson

You remember the flap (pun intended), I'm sure, when during the 2004 Superbowl halftime show, Justin Timberlake ripped at a flap of Jackson's bustier and one of her breasts briefly flashed in view.

It's very difficult to believe that this "horrible exposure" of a portion of the female anatomy became one of the biggest issues of 2004. Reuters put it this way: "Despite the brevity, lawmakers and regulators were outraged and vowed a crackdown on broadcast indecency."

Let's see...the brief public exposure (hell, it was so "brief" I never did see it!) of a human mammary gland is, in 21st Century America, "broadcast indecency."

We are surrounded by and governed by absolute frigging morons!

One of the biggest morons ever to hold down a government post is former attorney general, John Ashcroft, a dyed-in-the-wool Pentecostal fundamentalist Christian. He cost taxpayers $8,000 by ordering his Department of Justice to drape two, partially nude (breasts were showing!) giant, aluminum art deco statues that stood in the Great Hall of the DOJ.

Just to be fair, the DOJ said Ashcroft had nothing to do with draping the statues. And if you believe that...

Back to Jackson's breast. The outrage was so great that the FCC fined CBS $550,000!

CBS appealed, of course, and finally some judges exercised some common sense or at least their legal sense. The U.S. Court of Appeals said the FCC was wrong, that it "'arbitrarily and capriciously departed from its prior policy' that exempted fleeting broadcast material from actionable indecency violations." The fine was thrown out.


Thank god. I mean, if god didn't want us to look at mammary glands, she wouldn't have made them so damn cute!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never saw the broadcast or her breast. Does she have another one? Are either large enough to have filled the screen and aroused the entire male audience, with some exceptions, of course? Was there something about it that was different from the ordinary? Did it frighten children? I never quite understood the fuss but, as I said, I didn’t see it. I doubt if it would have frightened or excited me. My mother exposed me to hers frequently as a baby, so I accepted it as normal. Could my mother have been doing something wrong? I hope not. She was somewhat of a prude by today’s standards. I never saw either of hers again, once they gave me a bottle. It is possible that she had none, but borrowed them to feed my brother and I. I never saw another in person until much later and never was frightened by any. As far as I know, they are not dangerous. I have noticed, now that I live and swim in a retirement community, that most woman I see here seem to have them much lower than the young women I see on TV. Are they adjustable or are different species of women built differently? Were Janet’s low or high and did that make a difference?
It seems to me, that I see more of them in Wal Mart’s and on the street than I had ever seen before. Strange, because once upon a time, they were kept hidden more. What caused them to become a fashion item?
Bob Poris

opinions powered by SendLove.to