Thursday, January 5, 2012
Rick Santorum's going down!
There wasn't an evangelical in the entire universe who would vote for a Mormon. My god, Mormonism was a cult of the worst kind. Mormons were strange people who believed in all kinds of strange things, who were out two by two sucking people into the deep crags of their perverse religion.
It wasn't just that Mormons were not Christians by any stretch of the imagination, they were dangerous.
How times change.
In Iowa, supposedly the mother lode of evangelicals, a Mormon wins the caucuses with a Roman Catholic close behind.
You can put money on the fact that the religious folks of my youth are turning over in their graves. Actually, they're probably knocking the lids from their coffins trying to get out and right the terrible wrongs that have been done.
Iowa, they are dead sure, spells disaster.
Not that these evangelicals of my youth would have preferred a Democrat or even a specific Democrat such as Barack Obama for president, but it would be a close call if their only choices were a Mormon and a Catholic!
In this essay, I'm going to rip into the Roman Catholic candidate, Rick Santorum. Santorum is not of this world. His is the world of the 16th century. Or maybe even the 4th century. Santorum would be burning heretics at the stake. Santorum would be heading up the Inquisition. Santorum, you see, really believes in Holy Mother Church and all the doctrinal crap that flows out of the Vatican into the rivers of ecclesiastical latrines (aka churches). He would, if he could, turn the United States into a Roman Catholic diocese because that's what God wants!!!!
He's just as crazy as Pat Robertson on the other end of the religious spectrum.
Igor Volsky, writing at Think Progress, has put together a list of 10 of the Santorum's most egregious statements. In case you were thinking I'm a little too hard on Ricky from Pennsylvania, read on!
* First of all, Ricky just hates same-sex marriage! God, you see, hates homosexuality. (Ricky can't quite understand how his god could actually create humans who are homosexual, so it's not God's problem, but the homos' problem 'cause they chose to be the way they are!)
So, Ricky says, as president, he will annul all same-sex marriages. (Being less than bright, he doesn't understand that a president does not have that power). He's going to annul these marriages because he thinks gay marriage is a terrible aberration, and a cause of our economic crisis. Yep! Not only so, but religious folks like himself, have the "right to discriminate against gays." Ricky said, "We have a right the Constitution of religious liberty [sic] but now the courts have created a super-right that's above a right that's actually in the Constitution, and that's of sexual liberty. And I think that's a wrong that's a destructive element."
Huh? Do you get the impression that he has no idea as to what the hell he's talking about but simply trying to mouth Roman Catholic inanities and gets it all screwed up.
* Ricky likes income inequality! The rich folks, as we all know, have worked very hard their whole lives to accumulate masses of money and they did this without any help from anybody and therefore we should applaud them and help them protect their massive fortunes. Poor people, on the other hand, obviously don't work hard at all and therefore they are not ever going to be rich! So screw 'em!
So much for the American dream. Thanks a lot, Ricky!
* Ricky, being an ultra-conservative Roman Catholic (who believes everything the Vatican tells him) must also believe that all non-Catholics are going to burn forever in hell. That, my evangelical Iowans, means you!
Ultra-conservative Roman Catholics (of which there is a dwindling supply, (thank the gods) tout the Papal line that sex is only for procreation and never for recreation and therefore ALL FORMS OF BIRTH CONTROL are illegitimate! That's another of Ricky's sacred beliefs. As Mr. Volsky has pointed out, "Santorum has pledged to repeal all federal funding for contraception and allow the states to outlaw birth control, insisting that 'it's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.'"
Damn! Did we just return to the Dark Ages? Where did this clown come from? Something like 98% of all Roman Catholics use birth control 'cause they are aware those funny old guys in white collars and skirts don't know what the hell they're talking about!
* Ricky would also defend and return to the policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in the military because when he thinks of all those gay soldiers showering together...well, he gets all excited. I mean, really, gays dropping soap in the shower would disrupt the whole military enterprise! "[...] they're in close quarters they live with people, they obviously shower with people."
Oh my god! Let it go, Ricky. You'll feel better if you do.
* Needless to say, this paragon of virtuous claptrap opposes abortion for any reason. But, his dumbness really shines through at times. He was on a Christian TV program last January and mentioned that it surprised him President Obama didn't know when life began (at the moment of conception, for those of you who haven't gotten the latest word from the far-right). And the surprising thing is that Obama should know that because he is black. "I find it almost remarkable for a black man to say, 'now we are going to decide who are people and who are not people." Wait a minute. Obama's half white. Maybe if his skin was a bit lighter, he would know who are and who aren't people. Whatcha think, Ricky?
* If you're obese, Santorum does NOT have your back. You're kind of like a queer - you could be different if you wanted to but you don't want to, so you're fat and you don't deserve things like food stamps! Ricky, the lover of the Catholic god, plans, once he's "the man" to "significantly reduce federal funding for food stamps..."
* We mentioned that Rick will not support abortion for any reason; no exceptions for rape, incest, to protect the life of mothers, etc. No exceptions. None. God told him so. Let 'em die! Let 'em carry the child of a retarded, vicious killer to term and deal with it! What the hell, they're gonna burn in hell, anyway! Exceptions, says Ricky, are "phony"!
* Ricky hates Obamacare. Exactly why he hates Obamacare when it is built on Republican ideas, is hard to understand. But he does and he claims that his daughter who was born with a genetic defect "wouldn't survive in a country with 'socialized medicine.'" That's because he's afraid other children would be treated prior to and more effectively than his daughter.
Yes, he's quite crazy!
* Another of Ricky's crazy statements has to do with cell phones and health care. People who spend money on cable TV and cell phones should stop crabbing about the high cost of health care. Get rid of those luxuries so you can continue to pay outrageous sums to insurance companies and purveyors of drugs!
* And, finally, tied to the above, is Santorum's notion that insurance companies should have the right to discriminate against people who have pre-existing conditions. And if you're sick, you need to pay higher prices for your health care, 'cause you're costing the insurance companies more money.
Here's a few additional notes to add to your list as to why Santorum belongs in a sanitarium and not in the White House:
He disbelieves in the scientific theory that underlies all scientific study, evolution.
He disbelieves in climate change/global warming even though climate change is not a matter of "belief." Climate change is not up for debate. It's the reality we live with.
He thinks all undocumented immigrants are criminals and should be treated as such.
Iraq was a godly war.
The Crusades represented Christian and American values.
We are obliged to make the United States into a Christian (read Catholic) nation!
Well, there you have it: Rick Santorum in a nutshell, and I use the word NUTshell purposely. No doubt his life would have been much more fulfilling if he had lived in the 16th century rather than now. Now, he's bound by the Constitution and laws so he cannot enforce his Roman Catholic beliefs on the rest of us. It is doubtful, in my opinion, that he would ever get elected president, but he'd probably be a wonderful Republican candidate to run against Obama.
Get out there and nominate him, you Republicans!
You can read all of Igor Volsky's article here.
Posted by Lowell at 2:22 PM